Monday, March 14, 2011

Daily Journal-- 3/14/11

"My Journey on a Pirate Ship"

It was my first time on a cruise ship. Given my fear of the ocean, it took a lot of convincing from my parents that a cruise would be extremely safe, and nothing bad could happen. She was so wrong.

The trip started out great. I was worried that I would get motion sickness, but the rocking of the waves actually played into my advantage, as it lulled me to sleep most nights. There was food galore, with various assortments of pizza places, ice cream parlors, and burger joints. On the outside of the ship, there were three salt water pools on top of the boat, a rocking climbing wall in the front, and a basketball court in the back. I was in heaven for the first two days. However, on the third day it was a whole different story.

I woke up abruptly in the morning, and went to the tiny bathroom in the wall to wash my face. It was until about ten minutes of sitting in bed that I realized we weren't moving anymore. I grabbed my iPod off of the counter to check the time. It was 4 o'clock. My brother and sister were still asleep on the bunk bed to the left of me. I wanted to figure out what was going on, so I woke up Evan from the top bunk, and told him to come check out the ship with me. He grunted a little bit, but then slipped on his shoes and headed out of the cabin with me. We strolled past my parents room, and kept going towards the center of the boat. We climbed all the way to the 11th floor, which was where the pool resided. As I looked out to my left, I was in awe. There was a black flag with a skull imprinted on it waving about 100 yards away from our boat. Between our cruise ship, and the ship next to us, there was a long rope that seemed to work like a zipline. I saw one masked man after another floating across the night air, from the small ship to our ship. I had to slap myself a couple of times to realize I wasn't dreaming. I felt a gun on my spine, and turned around to see a masked pool of blackness.

"You're coming with me," he said.

Evan and I were taken over to the side of the cruise ship, that was adjacent to the rope that the pirates used to get aboard our ship. My hands were cuffed with a silver chain, which i had to use to lock around the ropem and zipline over to the other ship. Those 10 seconds that I was suspended in the air over the dark sea, were the scariest 10 seconds of my life. If I wasn't so deathly afraid of sharks and whales, I may have decided to jump, and succumb to my inevitable fate of death. However, I stayed on the rope.

No comments:

Post a Comment